When you sell your house, there are a few steps you can take to put yourself in a great position to sell quickly and for the most money possible. However, there are also plenty of things you can do that can sink your home’s sale. Today, I wanted to highlight the top six home sale sinkers that you should avoid at all costs. For example, you don’t want to do it on your own, because people who hire an agent sell their house faster and for tens of thousands of dollars more on average. To learn more, watch my latest video.
Looking to buy, sell or invest in a home to live in Salt Lake? Joshua Stern and his team are here to ensure you have an excellent real estate experience. Built in 2002, The Stern Team continues to build our business based upon the same business philosophy we started with, “People don’t care how much we know, until they know how much we care”. With full time dedicated staff, and the “best of the best” agents, we know how to help our clients with their home selling, home buying or real estate investing goals. Ask us about our Worry Free Service Guarantee®, which puts our clients in the driver’s seat. No long term contracts or fear of obligation.
Whether you’re downtown, uptown, metro or mountain, Josh’s unique V.I.P. Buyer System guarantees our clients access to properties that match exactly what they’re looking for, literally as they come on the market. Our property lists include homes from EVERY Salt Lake neighborhoods’ Realtor and Brokerage. They also include bank owned homes, government owned homes, corporate foreclosures and our own very special PRELIST properties that are not even on the market yet.
Want to sell your Salt Lake County Home? Get a FREE Home Value Report: http://www.servingsaltlake.com/sell/
Want to buy a Salt Lake County Home? Search All Homes For Sale: http://www.viewsaltlakecityareahomes.com/
The Stern Team
2121 S McClelland, St. #201
Salt Lake City, UT 84106
When you sell your house, there are six mistakes that can sink your sale. Here’s how to avoid them:
1. Don’t go it alone: Use a Realtor to help you because 90% of home sales in 2016 took place with one. The National Association of Realtors found last year that homes sold by their owner fetched an average of $210,000 while homes sold with a Realtor sold for $249,000. They sold faster, too.
2. Don’t decide on an agent based on the price they tell you they’ll sell your house for: Instead, ask them their strategy for marketing your home.
3. Don’t trust automated values: They’re easy to find on Zillow or Trulia, but since Utah is a non-disclosure state, it’s impossible for them to see comparable home sales. We often find these values are much higher or lower than your home’s true market value, so make sure you get a complete equity evaluation.
4. Have professional photos of your home taken: 100% of buyers will decide whether they want to see your home in person based on what they see online, and they gravitate toward great photos. Don’t try to take listing photos with an iPhone! Waiting an extra week for a professional photographer is well worth it.
5. Don’t ignore your agent’s request for some fixes around the home: You might want to consider staging as well, or at a minimum, a deep clean. Buyers are sensitive to a home’s presentation and they have no imagination.
6. Don’t refuse to negotiate: You might receive low offers and it’s easy to get offended, but always send a counteroffer, even if it’s just $100 off of your list price. You always want to keep things moving forward. Drawing a line in the sand sends a message to the buyer that you’re not really interested in selling. Instead, say something like, “I really appreciate you taking the time to put an offer together, but unfortunately, it doesn’t allow us to exit the property with what we need. So, we’d like to give you a counteroffer back at XX.”
As always, give me a call or send me an email if you have any questions or you’re thinking of buying or selling a home in Salt Lake County. I look forward to helping you!